Hegel v. Langsam
Court of Common Pleas OH -1971
- While a student at a D's university, P's daughter became a drug user and associated with criminals.
- University did not send P's daughter home at their request.
- P sued D university for allowing this to happen to their daughter.
- Trial court dismissed P's claim.
- Does a university owe a duty of care to the parents of its students to regulate their private lives?
- A university owes no duty of care to the parents of its students in regulating the private lives of the students.
- Universities are not nursery schools or prisons.
- Universities are only required to keep law and order on the campus.