Goddard v. Boston & Maine R.R. Co.
Supreme Judicial Court of MA - 1901
- P slipped on a banana peel lying on the platform at D's station.
- P was a passenger on a car that just arrived. There were many passengers on the platform.
- Trial court directed verdict for D.
- MA Supreme Judicial Court affirmed.
- Is a showing of a dangerous condition in an area of D's control sufficient to bring a claim in negligence against D?
- A mere showing of a dangerous condition in an area of D's control is not sufficient to bring a claim in negligence against D.
- The banana peel could have been dropped within a minute by any of the people who were leaving the train.
- D would, thus, not be liable in such a case. Since there is no further evidence, D must prevail.